Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It might become fall.....someday

This time of year in Prescott Valley has all the appearances of becoming fall except for one thing. We don't really get a nice colorful array of leaves on trees.... mostly because there aren't many trees to speak of... living on a prairie and all. The weather is cooling off at night and the late summer flowers are starting to bloom. The county fair is over and people seem a little more relaxed now that the heat of the summer is over.

I always feel more like starting a quilt project this time of year. My sewing room is upstairs and during the summer it gets pretty warm up there. I'm always involved in a quilt project, but it seems more productive when I'm not wanting to escape the heat. I just finished my P.I.G. Challenge quilt. Ok, I'll explain that: My quilt guild, Thumb Butte Quilters' Guild (http://www.tbqguild.com/) has a challenge every year. It is our Project In a Grocery bag Challenge. Everyone that wants to participate brings 3 unfinished projects that they have begun and shows them to the group. The group then votes on the one that they want to be finished in one year. The quilt they picked last year was a hand appliqued queen sized quilt that I'd been working on for about 10 years. I have to admit that I probably wouldn't have finished that quilt except that I had to do it for my P.I.G. It's finished now and beautiful. Here is a picture of it:


This is a picture of my 'before' quilt.


This is a picture of my 'after' quilt. Alot better.. huh?

So, that was last year. This year my P.I.G. isn't as impressive. It was a group of blocks that a friend gave me. She won the blocks at our Quilt Camp several years ago. They are a class that was offered called "The Girls". You'll see why it was called that. It's just a hodge podge group of blocks that have girls on them. I added some house blocks and some flower blocks and put it together with a sashing. It's cute, but not a wow quilt like last year. Here it is:


This year's P.I.G. before



This year's P.I.G. after


Ok.. that's the latest on what I've been working on. Next time it will be a different topic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE last years quilt!!! So bright and cheeful!

Anonymous said...

I also LOVE that one! But we all know I love flowers...