Monday, October 6, 2008

Doc, the Dog

If you know me at all, you know that I'm not a big fan of dogs. Why anyone would want a dirty, stinky, hairy animal in the house is beyond me. But... we have a dog. About 6 months ago, Alan decided that he NEEDED a dog and he came home with a 3 month old golden retriever. I didn't take it well at first. I screamed and hollered and pitched a royal fit, then the stinky dog licked my toes and pretended he liked me. Alan explained that he wanted a companion to be with him while he worked around the house. I gave in, with stipulations. He had to stay on the tile floor when he was in the house. He had to get a bath regularly and he had to be well trained and obedient. I don't think he'd ever even been inside a house before, so he had to quickly learn to do his business outdoors.


The biggest challenge was to stop him from barking when he was in the outdoor kennel that Alan built. Yea... we fixed that. He just doesn't stay in the outdoor kennel anymore. He mostly lives indoors now, but I have to admit that he's pretty good about staying on the tile floor. His name is Doc and he's 9 months old now. He is not aggressive, but he shows minor tendancies towards being protective. He would never bite anyone because mostly he just runs away from strangers, but he does bark when he thinks it's necessary to scare away things like kids walking to the bus stop and a plastic grocery bag blowing across the yard.


He got 'fixed' a couple weeks ago and just got his lampshade off this past weekend so he's a happier dog now. He loves going on bike rides, although he doesn't quite reach the pedales yet so he has to run along side the bike. I must give many thanks to Ceasar Milan 'The Dog Whisperer'. It is one of my favorite TV shows. It is on National Geographic Channel every Friday night and I highly recommend watching Ceasar for his people training skills. Dogs don't need training. They already know how to act like dogs. People need training to learn how to treat dogs like dogs. We watch it every week. Anyway, here are some pictures of Doc.


Doc - 9 months old. Savannah asks why he always looks so sad. That's just the way he looks.


Ok, ok.. he is a cute dog (when he's not licking his butt)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah I am so happy you got a dog. You will love him...